26 May 2012

Summer Resolutions

Here is my summer to do list.

  1. Finish curriculum maps for school by June 18th.
  2. Clean out and reorganize the filing cabinet in my classroom to make it more efficient to use.
  3. Teach Kohl how to play piano.
  4. Get access to a piano and practice it at least once a week as well as guitar.
  5. Have a picnic on top of a mountain.
  6. Climb to the top of the Beringin tower (the tallest building in town) and spend an afternoon looking at the rooftops of the city.
  7. Go on drives/walks with the express purpose of taking pictures at least 3 times.
  8. Finish season 1 of Downton Abbey with Melanie.
  9. Read at least 100 chapters of the Bible.
  10. Drive my motorbike to Solo. Talk to the homeless man at the stoplight north of town.
  11. Go swimming and get a tan.
  12. Stay at a local hotel once just for the fun of it. Order room service and try not to notice that the fried rice probably costs five times as much in the hotel as it does on the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
  13. Go to Semarang to have lunch with Vartika at least once before she moves to America.
  14. Read and translate at least 10 Indonesian fables (I have a whole book of them).
  15. Learn to make grilled stuffed burritos with all local ingredients.
  16. Find a good tailor and take the pile of slightly-too-large hand-me-downs that has been building up for a year in to be altered so that I can finally wear them.
  17. Leave the island once. Ideally, leave the country once - to Singapore or KL.
  18. Go on dinner dates with Liz.
  19. Re-learn calculus so I can teach it next year.
  20. Don't avoid goodbyes. Spend lots of time with people who are leaving, even when I feel like I should be accomplishing something else on my list.
  21. Exercise. At least once. All summer.
  22. Read the books I own that I haven't read yet, and don't download and watch seasons of TV shows instead.
  23. Be intentional about learning more Indonesian. Read the dictionary.
  24. Take a vitamin every day.
I'll try to blog about at least some of these things as I accomplish them. IF I accomplish them. That remains to be seen. From here, summer seems like two vast months of empty space, and I should be able to finish this list in like the first week. But it never works out quite like that...

No comments: