Well, we're on Day 4 of no laptop. It's in the shop, hopefully getting better. But I heard they are wiping everything and re-installing Windows. So that is great. Thankfully I had the foresight to expect this situation, and I backed EVERYTHING up before I took it to get fixed.
I've resorted to using the desktop computer in my classroom. It isn't terrible. I mostly just hate how clicky the keyboard is. First world problems. But anyways, since I have a new blog idea pop up in my mind just about every day, I decided I should start getting some of these out there!
So here is the first installment of Late Blogs.
New Year's Resolutions. I rarely make them. Really, almost never. But this year I decided to. And if I post them publicly, then I will feel more motivated to stick with them, right? In theory...
1. Last year I wanted to read the Bible more than I had the year before. And I was successful in that. I read the Bible all the way through in 2013. And I didn't want to do it AGAIN this year. But I do want to continue to be in the Word every day. So I decided to start reading the Bible in Indonesian this year. I'm not going to finish it in a year - the 4 or 5 chapters a day I would have to read to make that goal would be overwhelming. So I'm taking it slowly. Just a chapter or two a day. But as I read, I have a special notebook (I'm already planning a "Notebooks" blog post because I love my notebooks that much) in which I write down every single word that I don't know. And I find the translations for those words. And I learn those words. So I'm not only reading my Bible every day - I'm also rounding out my Indonesian vocabulary as I go along. Some days are stressful, and I feel like I don't know every fifth word. Some days are great, and I know every word in the chapter! I love reading, I love reading in Indonesian, and I am super motivated to learn language, so I think this will be an easy resolution for me to stick with. Eventually, I would like to read the entire Bible in Indonesian, but at this rate, it will take me almost 3 years!
2. Besides not wanting to feel totally overwhelmed, I also had another reason to not push myself to read the Bible in Indonesian in a year. I wanted to leave myself some time to do some other reading as well. Specifically, Al-Quran. It is a much shorter read than Al-Kitab (the Bible) - I only have to read 20 verses a day to finish it in a year. So my second New Year's Resolution is to read the Quran in a year. I wish I could sit down and study this book with an imam or an ustad or another religious leader because I have SO MANY QUESTIONS, and I really want to understand this religion that 90% of this country follows. But it's probably good that I don't have that opportunity, because it means that I talk to my friends about what I'm reading. And I have had SO MANY good conversations. Already. Conversations about what we believe and why we believe it and how what we believe is different. I love those conversations, and I love learning about religion and culture and where it comes from. I often find myself reading more than 20 verses in a day. I might finish this resolution ahead of schedule! So again, I think this will be an easy resolution to keep. And thanks to my tablet, I can easily take both Al-Kitab and Al-Quran with me wherever I go.
3. I felt really convicted at the end of last year about how much I complain about leadership... I have butted heads a lot with my new boss here. I don't agree with a lot of things my pastor does. The mayor of our town is pretty sleazy and corrupt. And naturally, presidents can never do anything right. But I never ever pray for them. So that is my third and final New Year's Resolution - pray more for those in authority over me. And honestly, I think this will be the hardest one for me to keep. It's difficult for me to pray consistently and long term for something. Eventually, I forget about it. Or I get bored of praying for the same thing over and over and over. Or I feel like what's the point because I see no change. I am the opposite of a prayer warrior. I am a prayer weakling. But if I can be faithful in praying for one thing, I want it to be for my leaders. Lord knows they need it...
No comments:
Post a Comment