Earlier this summer, our school did English training for a group of science and math teachers from Indonesian schools up to 5 hours away. Since I was here all summer, I ended up helping, and several of the visiting teachers walked away with photos of me and/or my Facebook name (this is my compromise when I don't want to give them all my phone number). One nice gentleman has been very diligent in writing me, but he tries to use English as much as possible, and sometimes I just don't understand him.
Just a few minutes ago, I got this message from him: Miss, how his brother, does so to Indonesia?
I just didn't know what to make of it. Then I got an idea. I put it into Google translate and translated it from English back to Indonesian.
This is the Indonesian translation: Nona, bagaimana saudaranya, tidak jadi ke Indonesia?
AHA! What he is ACTUALLY saying is: Miss, what about your relative, did he/she end up coming to Indonesia?
I must have mentioned to that group of teachers that my sister would be coming this summer.
And now I have the key to understanding Indonenglish. Back translation.
No comments:
Post a Comment