30 November 2008

find me a find, catch me a catch

There's these 4 ladies here who have decided to take me under their wing. . . and find me a husband. Four matchmakers. This should be interesting. They are all acting seperately, and until this weekend, none of them knew what the others were planning. But somehow, they all chose the same guy. Two of the ladies were conspiring together this weekend, and I was notified that there will be a spring wedding. I'll keep you posted.

I went to buy pulsa (minutes) for my phone this weekend. Twice. Somehow the first pulsa got eaten by my phone. The first time was pretty standard. I stopped at a warung, told them what carrier I used, and then wrote down my phone number and how much I wanted and they added it to my phone. The second time was a little different and complicated.
Me: Ada pulsa Mentari, pak? (Do you have Mentari phone minutes, Mr?)
Him: Yes. What is your number?
Me: Uhmmm... Kosong-Delapan-Lima-Delapan-Enam-Lima-Kosong-Enam-Satu-Delapan-Dua-Lima.
Him: OK. How much pulsa would you like?
Me: Lima puluh ribu.
Him: Alright. Hold on a minute..... *he uses his phone to send the pulsa to my phone* Check your phone please.
Me: Ah..... Hape di tasku... (My phone is in my bag (which had to be checked at the entrance to the store))
Him: Ohhhhh...... Your pulsa is there.
Me: Terima Kasih!
Him: Thank you.
It wasn't until I'd walked away from the counter that I realized that everything HE said was in English and everything I said was in Indonesian. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Rumor has it they found a girl's body partway up the mountain last week. Her legs were chewed off. They think it was a tiger. A TIGER!

I ate lunch at Pizza Hut on Friday. PIZZA HUT!

Four new single white girls moved to town last week. Now the single white girl to single white guy ratio in our community is 20:4. That is just great.

I started wrapping Christmas presents last night. It made me kinda happy. I hope the gifts arrive in the States still wrapped. But just in case they don't, I didn't do a very good job. I'll take a picture anyways.

I had Thanksgiving lunch on Thursday.
With a Puerto Rican, an Afghani, a Japanese, 2 Koreans, and 5 Americans - 4 of whom have lived in Indonesia for the past 20 years...

I want to be grown up.
I'm tired of always being the kid.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

let me just say your blog brings smiles to me even in this cold dark place they call Alaska... I even sometimes tell your stories to friends and family so I can smile at them again.