08 December 2014

Bake Sale: An Update

Clearly my life is full of adventures, because, I mean, I'm blogging about a bake sale.

Here is the executive summary.

1. The power NEVER WENT OUT ALL WEEKEND. I was thankful for this, but I also felt dumb for having buckets of water all over my kitchen and bathroom. And it was a pain to dump and dry them all out.

2. The lemon cake, which I thought would not be a hit (because Indonesians don't like things too sweet OR too sour, and lemon cake is BOTH) sold out BEFORE THE BAZAAR STARTED. Long after it was all gone, people were coming and asking me, "Where is the lemon cake people are talking about?" And the colorful cupcakes that I thought the kids would be all over sold out LAST! So now I know for next time... Do the opposite of what I think I should do.

3. I spent about $20 on ingredients. It's hard to tell exactly how much, because I bought two kilos of flour, but I didn't use the entire two kilos. And I bought that bottle of dried ginger, which I never used. And a lot of ingredients I already had on hand. So $20 is just my rough estimate based on how much I spent when I went grocery shopping.

4. I made about $75 in two hours of selling. That may not seem like much until I put it into perspective. First of all, everything sold out and nothing cost more than a dollar. Also, $75 is about twice as much as what I spend on food in an entire month. I also have friends who make that much in a month. So $55 of profit, which is enough to pay my half of my helper's salary this month, plus some left over!

5. All in all, I think it was a success. I spent probably about 7 hours shopping, mixing, baking, and packaging, then another 2 hours selling. I calculated how much I made per hour and it's more than I make teaching! I might just quit my day job....

6. Oh, one other thing - I woke up Sunday morning wondering why my hands were in so much pain. They felt bruised. It took me a couple of hours of flexing and massaging them to realize - I HAVE A BAKING INJURY! Kind of... Haha... Doing that much mixing all by hand took a toll and made my hand muscles VERY sore. I didn't even know that could happen...

7. And last but not least, here is the only picture I could find of me at the event. I was also in charge of selling books. And most of my baked goods were gone by this point. And some tired people were also sitting at my table. And I have a new white friend. Clearly the best picture possible.


No comments: