I didn't realize how worn out I was getting until I went to America last. Suddenly, I had no responsibility, no pressure, no work, no schedule. It was weird. But it was great. And I decided that when I got back to Indonesia, I wasn't going to take on so much. Because I didn't want to be that tired again. So I didn't volunteer for a lot of things this past year. I didn't go out of my way to do any extra tutoring/teaching or be involved in any extra-curricular activities, on or off campus. I didn't even attempt to make any new friends.
The past year was very restful. But it was also kind of boring. I watched a lot of TV and went to bed early frequently. Those are not complaints in any way. But this year, I decided that I wanted to take on a little more. I didn't want to be such a homebody. I needed some balance.
Somehow "a little" turned into "way more than a little". Like, it grew exponentially. Some of it is my fault. But some of it is not. The first week of school just ended, and I already feel like I am drowning. Like maybe I could use five teaching assistants and a lifeboat.
On the plus side, though, I am sleeping great at night. And I made it through an entire week without yelling at anyone. And due to Indonesian Independence Day, I am kicking off a three day weekend.
And I had the following conversation with a student today which made me smile on the inside while I maintained a professionally stern face on the outside.
Me: When you get to part d, you don't need to write a paragraph like it says to, just discuss your answer with your partner.
Student: Do we really have to write a paragraph for part d?
Me: Uh.... I just explained that.
Student: Sorry. I was having trouble focusing, because I was busy swimming in your eyes.
Me: Then ask your partner.
Student: I'm pretty sure he was swimming too.
No comments:
Post a Comment