The 2017-18 school year is well underway, and this school year has felt a lot different than years past. I'm still teaching the same four math classes, but on top of that, I seem to have undertaken a set of other responsibilities that are usually not mine. So far this year, those responsibilities have included:
1. Writing recommendation letters for students to go military academies.
2. Contacting US Senators and Representatives (see #1)
3. Leading a worship team.
4. Filling in on guitar, piano, and/or vocals whenever a student is absent from worship team.
5. Planning multiple retreats, each with an attendance of 100+ people.
6. Counseling and mentoring (there was a three week stretch where I could count on one hand the number of days there WASN'T someone crying in my classroom).
7. Being the official score keeper for athletic events.
8. Translating for non-English speaking parents.
9. Supervising my very own, brand new math department teaching assistant (I'm someone's boss this year!).
10. Being the final authority on dress code issues (seriously, the principal sends them to me).
11. Substitute teaching for 7th grade.
12. Interviewing potential new staff members.
13. Overseeing housing/furnishing needs for staff families.
Many of these tasks have taken me out of my comfort zone, put me in the spotlight, and pushed the limits of what I thought I could handle. But as we come to the end of our first quarter, I can say with confidence that this has been a really REALLY good school year so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment