One more day of finals!
I was a little bored today… I was giving two finals. And by “giving two finals” I actually mean “watching a DVD on my laptop and knitting while students took the final.” I figured since there was only one student in each class, I don’t need to watch them like a hawk to prevent cheating.
I think the rain thought the final school bell today was a starter’s pistol. It started pouring right as the bell rang. So now we all get to go home in the rain. Now there is what sounds like a 2 year old sitting outside my window yelling, "STOP THE RAINNNNNN NOW! STOP THE RAINNNNN NOW!....."
I have some weird rash or reaction or something on the top of my foot. The school nurse said just put hydrocortisone on it, but that really doesn’t do much. So I started rummaging around and found something that an Indonesian friend bought me when I burnt my leg and it got all infected. The label says it’s good for exzema, minor burns, rashes, irritation, etc. So I started using it. And it’s clearing up. Then I read the label. It’s 10% placenta. Fantastic. Twice a day, I’m rubbing placenta all over my foot.
My kittens are vampires. They were in the ceiling of the building next door for their entire lives thus far and so now they are scared of the light. They won’t come out from under my bed, which is where all my luggage was stored. That got relocated to under my desk for fear of my duffel bag filling up with cat pee. So far they’ve been very well behaved, going in the litter box and sleeping soundly all night long. I usually can’t believe that I have 3 cats living under my bed because I can neither hear or smell them. That is good news.
I've been working on filling out a recommendation for MIT. Thee MIT. As in Massachusetts. Intimidating. They ask all kinds of questions. But it's for a student that I really love and respect, so no problem giving a glowing report. I just feel like I have to do so perfectly. Because it's MIT.
Some students were complaining yesterday that my classroom smells like death. I couldn’t smell it. Until today. In one certain spot. So I searched my room, pulling books off shelves and everything out of drawers. No luck. I noticed that it smelled worst right in the middle of one wall. But there’s no way for anything to die in the wall – they’re solid cement. Weird. So I recruited Casey to come help me. He’s considerably taller than me and couldn’t even smell the stench. Until I convinced him to squat down. Then he almost immediately traced the smell to an electric outlet. He went to get a screwdriver, and sure enough, a poor gecko had electrocuted himself to death in there. It was very gruesome and smelly.
Casey pretty quickly decided he didn’t want to touch it, so he called one of the maintenance men to come do it. (“That’s why I hire employees.”) Poor guy replaced the whole outlet for me. Once he knocked the gecko out of the old one, it fell on the floor and started wiggling around. A miracle? We might have thought so until larvae and maggots started crawling out its stomach. I’ll spare you that photo. It was kind of like watching a small scale horror movie. With real life stink.
Humor for today:
Jose: Can I go to the bathroom?
Me: Jose, there’s like 7 minutes left in class. Can’t it wait?
Jose: It’s an emergency.
Me: Do you have diarrhea?
Jose: No.
Me: Then it’s not an emergency and you can wait.
Jose: It’s an emergency. Pleeeeeease let me go.
Me: A real emergency?
Jose: Yes, I think my water is about to break.
Me: Uhhhh… I doubt it.
I don't know why stupid blogger double spaces things sometimes. I can't make it undo that. Sorry.
No comments:
Post a Comment