I stumbled onto this online and thought it gave some pretty good insight into what the month of Ramadan is actually about for many Muslims. I think a lot of Americans don’t really understand why Muslims fast for a whole month – it’s not necessarily about physical deprivation as a means to earn a place in Heaven (which I feel is the skewed perspective that most people get), it’s more about purification and refocus. I’m not Muslim, so maybe I’m stepping out of bounds by saying this, but from my experience here, I think there are quite a few Muslims who fast because they hope it will earn them points with Allah and they forget the true meaning of the month. But on the flip side, I have Muslim friends who truly LOVE this month and almost mourn when it ends because it is a time of forgiveness, a time of love, a time of peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment