EVERY TIME I try to order a new tank of elpiji (yes, that's Indonesian for LPG) for my water heater or stove, I end up having the following conversation on the phone:
*ring ring*
Lady: Hello?
Me: Yes, I'd like to order a tank of elpiji.
Lady: Where would you like it delivered?
Me: (I tell where I live, a place they are very familiar with and know the exact location of)
Lady: OK great, and who am I speaking to?
Me: (I tell her my name)
Lady: Who?
Me: (I tell her my name a LITTLE LOUDER)
Lady: Who?
Me: (I tell her my name with as strong of an Indonesian accent as possible)
Lady: Um... WHO?
Me: Ibu Sri (my helper).
Lady: Oh, Ibu Sri's house! OK, we know the place. I'll send a man. He'll be there in a minute.
Me: OK, thank you.
*hang up*
Today was probably the fourth or fifth time I've had that conversation. Apparently my pembantu orders elpiji for us so often that they don't even know who actually lives here, and according to them, Ibu Sri owns the place. I actually told Ibu Sri about that once, and she thought it was hilarious!
The guy who just delivered my elpiji seemed very weirded out that Ibu Sri was not here. He actually asked me first thing, "Where did Ibu Sri go?" Well, hello to you too, sir.
No comments:
Post a Comment