Earlier today, the US Embassy in Jakarta posted this picture on the internet:
It was captioned as follows (roughly translated): Next week, the American people will vote for the new president who will serve from 2013 until 2017. This photo was taken when President Obama met with Mitt Romney during the third presidential debate. What do you think they are saying to each other? Leave your answer in the comment column. Our three favorite responses will earn an interesting prize. You have until midnight.
Now normally for Americans, we would jump at the chance to see who could come up with the most snarky, sarcastic, or humorous caption. But as I read through several of the 700+ comments, most of which were in Indonesian and/or other tribal languages, I realized that Indonesians apparently don't see the same challenge that we do.
Some comments made me roll my eyes. Some cracked me up. Some I just plain didn't understand. Here are a few of the ones I DID get.
1.
Obama: I will DOMINATE you next week.
Romney: I'm scared.
2.
Obama: Good luck.
Romney: Good luck.
3.
Obama: How are you?
Romney: Not fine.
*they laugh together*
4.
Obama: Your teeth are yellow, bro.
5.
Obama: Let's just laugh and make them wonder what we're talking about that makes us laugh.
But my personal favorite was this beauty:
Mitt Romney: Hey man, can you dance Gangnam Style?
Obama: Heck yes I can! What CAN'T I do? I like to sing Lady Gaga songs.
Mitt Romney: Let's start a band!
Obama: Yesssss...
This one was a close second:
Obama: Rom, do you think they understand what we debated about earlier?
Romney: I don't even understand what we debated about!
Obama: You're dumb.
Romney! Hahaha... The important thing is to shake hands.
I'm pretty sure I will never get Indonesian humor, or the lack thereof... But I was glad to see at least a few witty comments. And every time I imagine Obama singing Lady Gaga songs to himself, I laugh a little bit...

No comments:
Post a Comment