07 February 2013

Geometry

Every year, when we do the unit on ratios, proportions, and scale factors, I have my Geometry class use the world map hanging on the back wall of my classroom to calculate the distance they currently are from where they were born. This is a pretty neat project to do in a multi-cultural setting. And it gets them out of their seats, using rulers, applying scale factors, and doing math!

In this class of 20 students, I have:
9 Koreans
4 Indonesians
3 European-Asians
2 Indians
1 American
1 Canadian

And here are their birth places:
Seoul, South Korea (6)
Semarang, Indonesia (3)
Jakarta, Indonesia (2)
New Delhi, India (2)
Surabaya, Indonesia
Kwangju, South Korea
Geneva, Switzerland
Ottawa, Canada
Salatiga, Indonesia
Shimla, India
Bandung, Indonesia

Eight of them were born in Indonesia, and six were born in a country other than their passport country! I really love being surrounded by so much diversity on a daily basis. These kids are so different from their American counterparts, and I have so much appreciation and respect for their life experiences!

No comments: