21 February 2013

IISSAC

There are 6 or 7 major international schools on Java and Bali that take turns each year hosting various athletic events that all the schools participate in. This weekend is the big international school invitational basketball tournament (that we have won for the past 3 years in a row, ahem...). So roughly half of our high school students and staff left last night to travel to the far east end of Java to compete at Surabaya International School. Games start today (Friday) at 3 and continue all day Saturday and for much of Sunday.

Now, the weird thing is that we have Monday off so that players and coaches can rest after their weekend full of traveling, playing, and traveling some more (it's about a 7 hour bus ride to Surabaya from here). But we do not have Friday off, even though half of the school is gone.

I'm not teaching anything today. I mean, I had ONE student in AP Calculus this morning. We finished his homework together then played cards and chatted for the rest of the 95 minutes. Good talk.

I went to bed after midnight last night.
I wore jeans, flip-flops, and a hoodie to school.
My cell phone is on, and not even on silent.
I've been playing games on my tablet for the last 30 minutes.
And I ate rice out of a plastic bag for breakfast.
That is how much I care today.

WHY AM I AT SCHOOL?!

No comments: