30 September 2013

Punkins

Now that I've decided that fall is my most missed season, I'm obsessed with pumpkin. But you can't buy it in a can here. So I drove up the mountain until I found a lady selling pumpkins by the road. I bought just one. It was green. It looked funny. But all the orange ones were teeny tiny. So I put a giant pumpkin on my motorbike and drove it back down the mountain.

20130923_164844

And I took my green leprous pumpkin and I made it into pumpkin puree. Two quarts and seven pints of pumpkin puree. It was a little more than I was bargaining for, and I'm getting annoyed with how all these jars of pumpkin are hogging the space in my fridge AND freezer.

20130923_203631

Since they are taking up lots of valuable space, I've been trying to use them up fast. So far I've made pumpkin vanilla muffins, pumpkin bread, olive oil and sea salt roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin snicker doodles, and several pumpkin spice lattes for various people.

I've only used two and a half pints. 

Maybe I will start feeding it to my cats. Do cats like pumpkin?

In other culinary news, I have also taught myself how to make refried beans from SCRATCH. And tortilla chips. But then I ran out of tortilla chips and I was too lazy to make any more. So I finished off my bowl of refried beans with a spoon. Then I ate a papaya. Because fun fact - papaya counters the gaseous effect of other foods.

20130925_181432

AND I made two jars of maple syrup. But not REAL maple syrup. Obviously. Sadly. But it's pretty good anyways.

If the cats don't like the pumpkin, maybe I'll put some maple syrup on it. Because who wouldn’t like that?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...thats a ton of pumpkin! I have some recipes to share if you need 'em, including a pretty fantastic pumpkin chili :).

A said...

Sounds great! Except that I actually hate the taste of pumpkins/squash/sweet potatoes. Unless they're baked into sweet things. Do you have any recipes for that?? :)