03 April 2014

Indonesian

I did a couple of blog posts awhile ago showing how some words in Indonesian have funny translations in English. I thought they were hilarious. If you didn't, then go away.

Since then, I've been saving up words to make another post. Every time I think of one, I make a note in my phone.

So without further ado, here is Indonesian: Part 3 (I think).

English - Indonesian - Translation
Ball pit - mandi bola - ball bath
Puppy love - cinta monyet - monkey love
Nonsense - omong kosong - empty talk
Syphilis - raja singa - lion king
Cell phone - hanpon - hand phone
Casket - peti mati - dead box
Alley - jalan tikus - mouse road
Goodbye (for little kids) - dada - breast
Yield - beri jalan - give road
Handkerchief - sapu tangan - hand broom
Fundraiser - cari dana - look for money
Mentally handicapped - sakit jiwa - soul sick
Bible - Al-Kitab - the book
Common cold - masuk angin - wind entering
Fried egg - telur mata sapi - cow's eye egg
Humble - rendah hati - low heart
Funeral - penghiburan - a comforting (which is also the same word for entertaining)
Train - kereta api - fire wagon
State - negara bagian - country part
Inhale - tarik nafas - pull breath
Pirate - bajak laut - sea plow
Toothpick - tusuk gigi - tooth poke
Birthday - ulang tahun - repeat year

I don't know why these are so amusing to me. I think it's just that they say so much about the culture they come from. I love language.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hilarious. I love these posts!!