11 May 2016

Pulang

In Indonesian, "go home" and "come home" are both expressed in one simple word, pulang. 

This is my year to pulang during summer break. I keep telling my Indonesian friends that they're confusing me with their questions though. They've been asking when I'm going to pulang, and I can't tell if they're asking when I'm going to GO back home to America or when I'm going to COME back home to Indonesia. So now, when anyone asks me when I'm going to pulang, I automatically ask, pulang to where?

It's weird, feeling like home is in two places. I get to pulang twice, really. I'll pulang once when I go home to America, and I'll pulang again when I come back to Indonesia. Both places are home to me.

 This time, my pulang will be a little different from years past. I'll be in America for five months! That's more time in America than I've spent there in the last eight years combined! That seems exciting, and I AM excited. But I'm also a little sad. Sad about all the things I'll miss out on here while I'm away. I'm going to miss the first day of school. I'm going to miss the beginning of senior year for a group of students that I'm close to. I mean, I'm going to miss the entire first quarter with ALL my students, not just the seniors. But it's somehow sadder to think that I'm going to miss out on part of my last year with them. I'm going to miss our student retreat, where we spend time as a school body just setting the tone for the rest of the year. I'm going to miss Idul Fitri, the biggest holiday on the Indonesian calendar, which I've celebrated with friends for the last 8 years in a row. I'm going to miss the weddings of two friends of mine. I'm going to miss Independence Day. I'm going to miss my students, my co-workers, my church, and my friends.

But by spending five whole months in the States, I'm also gaining a lot. I get to welcome my brother home after his first deployment. I get to be there for his wedding. I get to spend more precious time with my family and my friends. I get to meet new babies that already have a part of my heart. I get to know my soon to be sister-in-law. I get to travel to new places and see people I haven't been able to see in years. I get to attend a special training seminar that will help me be a better teacher. I get to re-connect with people at a much more relaxed pace. I get to miss half a semester of work AND STILL GET PAID! And there are SO many other things that I'll be able to do this year that I've missed out on the last two times I've been home, just because of how rushed my time there usually is!

I'm excited to be THERE, but I'm also struggling with the idea of leaving HERE.

In church on Sunday, the pastor was talking about how your destination should determine your preparation. He used the example of travelling overseas, and he asked the congregation, "What kinds of preparations do you have to make to travel to another country?" I actually said out loud, "Do you wanna see my list?"

The preparation seems overwhelming right now. I have a list of about 60 things that I need to arrange, organize, and take care of before my departure. But I'm gonna make it.

So for those who need to know.
I will pulang to America on 26 May.
Then I will pulang to Indonesia on 12 October.
Let's hang out. 

No comments: