08 November 2016

Election Day

So it's election day in America, and it is the day after election day on this side of the world. I sent in my absentee ballot last week via e-mail (thank you, Indiana), so I anticipated a chill day.

Here's how it's been so far.

6:20 - Wake up extremely emotional due to dreaming that students were dying.
6:40 - Calm down enough to be able to get up and get moving.
7:00 - Leave for work.
7:10 - Find a box of chocolates from a student on my desk.
7:15 - Eat said box of chocolates for breakfast. With coffee.
7:20 - Pull up election results on my computer. Still pretty early. First states reporting.
7:45 - Begin teaching.
8:10 - Get called out of class by my principal for a "2 minute standing staff meeting" that turned into 20 minutes in which all teachers are instructed to stop assigning homework and tests.
8:30 - Return to class and continue teaching.
9:20 - Tell students they have no homework assignment today, then fumble when they DEMAND homework. Create an "optional" homework assignment on the spot.
9:30 - Ditch school to go watch election results at the home of a Brazilian friend with satellite TV while eating popcorn and brownies.
10:30 - Realize in the heat of the moment that I am actually more scared of Trump winning than Hillary.
11:15 - Return to school and teach.
12:00 - WHAT THE HECK, AMERICA????
12:15 - Discover I can't eat my lunch. But still scarf down an entire cream cheese Oreo cupcake. Of course.
13:10 - Write a blog post about what election day looks like for this expat.

WHAT A GREAT DAY, EVERYONE.
I should probably go eat something nutritious now.

No comments: