22 March 2018

#goals

Are you familiar with the bullet journal craze? If not, you can check it out here. People ask me if I have a bullet journal, and I always say no. But I know that deep down inside, I've really been doing it since before it was the latest craze. I live by calendars and checklists and I always have a gridded notebook in my bag that I use to keep track of all my obsessive calendars and lists. (Sometimes I put things on my to-do lists that I have already done just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing it off the list. Like seriously, SO. MUCH. Satisfaction. That's how bad it is.)

Anyways, one of the things on this month's to-do list (and something that will be featured on every other month's list for the rest of the year) is to update my blog. I've gotten really bad at keeping this old blog updated over the past couple of years. I waffle back and forth between thinking that keeping my friends and family on the opposite side of the world updated is the responsible thing to do and that it's also kind of vain to just sit and write about myself and who cares anyways? I think blogging once a month is a nice compromise. It's responsible but not too self obsessed, right?

So that's where I'm at. And I'll be honest - sometimes it's hard to find things to write about. There are times when what I want to say feels too deeply personal for a public audience. There are other times where really cool things happen but I know that words could never do them justice, so I don't bother trying. Many times, I hear or see something funny and I think to myself, "I could blog about that", and then two hours later, I have completely forgotten about it. Starting this month, I'm trying to be intentional about finding at least one thing in the month to write about.

This month, what I want to write about is some veryveryvery exciting news. At the beginning of the year, boyfriend and I decided to apply for a visa for him to come to the States this summer. We knew it was a long shot, but we wanted to give it a try anyways. We finished the dreadful online application process the first week of March and then we were able to schedule an interview at the US Consulate during my spring break. I was trying to have a realistic level of expectation with the knowledge that it is very difficult for single Indonesian men to obtain tourist visas to the US. But the process went so smoothly and boyfriend was granted his visa!

This means that I will come to America at the end of May as planned and that boyfriend will get to join me sometime in July. We are in the process of figuring out exactly how long he can take off work and looking for tickets. Our plan is to fly back to Indonesia together at the end of July. Besides being unspeakably excited to have him there with me in America, I am ALSO very excited to have someone to travel with! It will be the first time since living here that I won't have to travel all the way around the world totally alone.

So there you have it. One blog post for the month of March. I can't think of anything more worthy of sharing than this fabulous news! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're sweet. I've never thought of your blog as vain or selfish. Your blog posts have been powerful to me to see God working in your life and the lives around you. I've enjoyed the peek into another culture and frequently referenced some of your posts to friends when talking about how God moves around the world.