27 January 2009

God gave me good friends

So I put in a good 10.5 hours at school yesterday.
Then another hour at a soccer game.
It was craziness.
Kids everywhere.
By the time I got home, I just plain didn't feel good.
It hit me hard. I laid down on the couch for about 15 minutes.
But then it was time to go out for dinner.
A friend came to pick me up and saw the state I was in.
So he decided to make me better.
This involved making me sit down on the couch while he played guitar and sang to me.
It was nice.
This is what happened.

Him: "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....."
Me: Awwwwwwwww........
Him: "Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry......"
Me: My dad sings me this song to wake me up in the morning.
Him: Really?
Me: But he mostly says polebarn instead of sunshine.
Him: "Sunshine on the water looks so lovely......"
Me: And then I would punch him in the stomach and tell him to go away.
Him: Are you going to punch me in the stomach?
Me: Noooooooooo.
Him: "Sunshine almost always makes me cry....." Wait. I think it's "high".
Me: Yeah. It would be dumb to rhyme cry and cry. It's high.
Him: "Sunshine almost always makes me high....."
Me: Sounds about right.
Him: "If I had a day that I could give you..... I'd give to you a day just like today......"
Me: But I didn't like today! That's the whole reason you're singing to me right now.
Him: I would give you the hypothetical day in the song, which is a good day.
Me: Then that should be the words.
Him: "If I had a day that I could give you..... It would be the hypothetical day in this song....."
Me: But now the last line won't rhyme!
Him: "If I had a song that I could sing for you..... I'd sing a song that made you happy all along."
Me: Better than was I was thinking of. "I'd sing a song that made you happy on the lawn."
Him: No. I like yours better.
Me: Naaaaaaaaah.
Him: "If I had a tale that I could tell you, Id tell a tale sure to make you smile, If I had a wish that I could wish for you, Id make a wish for sunshine all the while."

We were late for dinner.
But I felt better.
God gave me better friends than I ever expected to have.

Oh, and I miss you dad.
But even if you came here and sang that song to me early in the morning, I would probably still punch you in the stomach and tell you to go away.

No comments: