Anyways, I bought a bunch of craft stuff over the summer in America to bring back with me. It’s hard to find a lot of things here like yarn, knitting needles, cross-stitch fabric, skeins of floss, etc. I did learn that felt and fabric scraps are in abundance though!
I like my things to be organized, so in a desperate attempt to classify and store all my craft things, I constructed a crude shelf out of 5 cardboard boxes. One for knitting things, one for needlework things, one for painting, drawing and coloring things, one for paper and pictures, and one for broken things from around the house that I’m convinced I can repurpose. Like old guitar strings and pane of glass that broke in half.
When Aswan saw my sad little cardboard boxes, he gave me *a look* and said, “Let’s go visit my friend Deny. He can build something for you. Out of….. wood.” So we went to visit Deny. I really had no clue what I wanted because I so thrilled with my cardboard box construction. But Deny talked with me for like an hour and we came up with a plan. And 5 days later, I had my first piece of custom built furniture!
(Before and after)
Even though we never talked about it, Deny went ahead and made all the shelves removable and made each side look paneled (or at least that is the word I would use to describe it. I don’t really know what the correct term is). It only cost $40. It is made of mahogany. I think I’m in love.
2 comments:
Can we hire Deny to build us custom bookshelves?!?! :D wish Indonesia and the US were closer for yet another reason...
Haha... And pay for shipping? It might end up not being worth it... But really, there are cities all along the north coast of Java known for their woodworking! The kids don't even go to school, they just learn to carve or build furniture because that's where the money is at! Most of it gets exported to Europe and sold for like 100 times the actual cost, of course. But they really make some beautiful stuff! I'm about to get addicted to ordering custom furniture...
Post a Comment