12 December 2012

Kevin. Again.

On my way home from school, I passed Kevin walking with a boy whose father grew up in Kenya, so to test his memory, I asked him, "Kevin, what is Nairobi?" Here's how that went.

Me: Kevin, what is Nairobi?
Kevin: What?
Me: Nairobi.
Kevin: What?
Me: Nairobi!
Kevin: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
Other boy: Are you serious?
Kevin: Yes.....?
Other boy: It's where my dad grew up!
Me: Kevin, what did we talk about at lunch yesterday?
Kevin: What?
Me: Lunch! Nairobi!
Kevin: Lunch? I forget.

*I recount our entire lunch conversation from yesterday*

Other boy: Are you SERIOUS? You don't know what Kenya is?? It's a country in Africa!
Kevin: No it's not!
Other boy: Yes it is!
Kevin: It can't be! Africa is a....
Other boy: .... continent.
Kevin: No, no, no. Africa is a country!
Other boy: CONTINENT.
Kevin: Oh yeah. It's a continent that contains.... Africa?
Other boy: NO!
Kevin: I think I mean South Africa.
Other boy: Yes. South Africa is a country in Africa. So is Kenya.
Kevin: Kenya is a state?
Other boy: Country.
Kevin: In South Africa?
Other boy: NO!
Me: Kevin. You know Asia?
Kevin: Yes, of course.
Me: You know how Asia has a lot of countries in it?
Kevin: Yes, of course.
Me: It's like that. Africa is the continent, and it has lots of countries. Like South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and others.
Kevin: Oooooooooh.
Me: So to recap, Kenya is...?
Kevin: A country.
Me: On the continent of....?
Kevin: Africa.
Me: And its capital is.....?
Kevin: Nairobi.
Me and other boy: GOOD!

No comments: