08 April 2013

Numbers

So I've been looking at some numbers and making some comparisons. This kind of puts into perspective what it's like to live on the most densely populated island in the world.

I come from a very small Indiana town with population right around 250. The town I live in here is also considered a very small town. In fact, people from Jakarta, the capital city, sometimes refer to it as a village.

Village. Population 176,000. I laugh.

The population of my entire home county is not even 25% of that and yet has 53 times the area.

The area of my hometown is 0.44 square kilometers. The area of my current town is 17.87 square kilometers. So 40.5 times the area for 704 times the population.

For my readers who know Indiana well, think of Fort Wayne. The current population estimate is approximately 253,691. It's the second largest city in Indiana. And based on population, it is 144% bigger than the town I currently live in. But based on land, Fort Wayne is 16 times larger. So much more space to fit all those people!

For my college friends, try and take the entire population of Fort Wayne and cram all those people into an area HALF the size of Warsaw (NOT counting WL). That's where I live.

And here's a bigger picture. Take the entire population of the US living west of the Mississippi River and relocate them ALL to Alabama. You could let the population of Alabama stay there (though I assume the second Civil War would quickly erupt), and it would STILL not be as densely populated as the island I live on.

Welcome to Java.

No comments: