29 April 2013

STUDENTS.

Student: How do you wash your hair? I mean, does the water even go in it??



Student: Can I borrow your phone?
Me: Um. Why?
Student: So I can take a picture of the assignment you wrote on the board and send it to myself.
Me: Is it REALLY that much work to just write it down?
Student: Come on. We live in the 20th century! Embrace it!
Me: False.



Me: Hey, this is study time. Are you studying for your test?
Student: No, we're discussing something far more important.
Me: Like...?
Student: Girls.



Me: If a teacher took a survey and asked students, "Have you ever cheated?" would that be biased or unbiased?
Student: Biased, because the asker is influencing the response. The students might not answer honestly.
Me: Good. So how could we change it to get a more honest response?
Student: Maybe God could ask the question. Because nobody would lie to God.



One Indian student got on my laptop after school when I wasn't paying attention and used my Skype to message a former Indian student currently in his junior year of college in America.

[2:35:31 PM] me: hey handsome
[2:36:24 PM] me: ur such a yummy piece of chocolate
[2:36:56 PM] me: wanna meet up
[2:38:54 PM] me: cmon dont be shy

So that's great.



But this one made me kind of happy. At lunch, two boys - one in 9th grade and one in 10th grade - were sitting near me discussing something. I could tell it was serious, but I wasn't really paying attention to what it was. Until I heard my name...
9th grader: I'm gonna ask Miss (my name).
10th grader: No, don't do that! She's a teacher. It's like tattling.
9th grader: No. She is never like that. She understands. She is cool.
10th grader: Yeah, that's true.
9th grader: She has a lot of wisdom. I think we can learn from her to help us be wiser. Let's ask.

And they did ask. And hopefully I was able to help.