We had a double service at church this past Sunday because we had a guest speaker from America! So in between the two services, we had snacks and fellowship time and they also gave away a dozen books. At first, you had to answer questions correctly to win a book. Some were about the topic of the first sermon. Some were trivia about our pastor or about the guest pastor. But then they ran out of questions, so they started doing things like, "Who is wearing blue socks?" or "Who has no phone minutes on their phone?" (because all phones in Indonesia are pay-as-you-go). Each time, the person who met the requirement and ran to the front the fastest won a book.
I knew the answers to several of the questions, but I'm not much of a run-to-the-front-and-shove-other-people-out-of-the-way kind of person. I'd rather sit back and enjoy watching other people duke it out.
But then something happened. They asked, "Who came to church today without showering?" And I thought, "THIS IS IT. THIS IS MY MOMENT. MY TIME TO SHINE." And this force just came over my body. Without even realizing it, I was raising my hand and slowly standing up. And then I was running. It's like I wasn't even in command of my own body. I just sprinted. In slow motion, I think. Or at least that's how I remember it happening. I had been sitting in the front row and couldn't see behind me, but I got a minor rush of adrenaline when I grabbed my book and realized I'd gotten to the front first. I WON! I WON!
And then I turned around to show off my prize to my adoring fans. Because I'd been sitting in the front, I didn't realize until that moment - on stage in front of the whole room - that I was the only person who even got up!!! The rest of the congregation was just sitting there, looking at me in silence, heads cocked to one side as if to question why I would even admit to not showering that morning...
Indonesia may be a third world country, and Westerners may associate "third world" with "lack of cleanliness and hygiene", but I tell you what - Indonesians bathe 2-4 times a day EVERY DAY (as opposed to my 2-3 times a week). And even if they didn't, they would NEVER ADMIT IT. This is the cleanest culture I have ever lived in.
Once everyone saw me realize that I was all alone in front, the room ERUPTED in laughter. They laughed and cheered SO HARD. It was practically riotous.
Because I am the ONLY white person who attends my church... And I was the only person out of 150 that didn't shower that morning...
That's gonna be a great memory. And the book wasn't bad either!
1 comment:
Bwhahahahahhahaha..
I remember the look of my mother when i told her i didnt bathe for a day in Jakarta..
She said "Now you are very much of a European" With THAT look obviously. Sigh..
Post a Comment