03 May 2015

Kenapa Dia Yang Layak?

There's an Indonesian worship song I've written about before. It's one of my favorite songs. Not because it's terribly deep or profound. Actually kind of the opposite. I like it because it's simple. And because sometimes I find myself singing it in English - even though it doesn't have an English version.

The chorus simply goes:

Kau yang layak,
Kau yang layak,
Kau yang layak disembah.

You are worthy,
You are worthy,
You are worthy to be praised.

Today as we sang that song at church, our worship leader challenged each of us to take a moment and think about WHY He is worthy. There are many reasons, but he encouraged each of us to have one in mind as we continued to sing.

As an ace Sunday School student, naturally, my first thought was, "He is worthy because He died for my sins." It was early in the morning, and my brain wasn't all the way on yet, so I just went with that reason in my mind.

The second time through the chorus though, I felt a quiet voice in my heart whisper, "I am worthy because I am the same."

I had to stop singing and think about that one.

This week was a rough one, full of disappointment and heartbreak and anger and tears and maybe even a little bit of grief. In times like this, it's all too easy for me to forget that no matter what happens around me, no matter how broken this world is, no matter how deeply people disappoint me, God is still the same. He never changes.

I was reminded of that so very powerfully this morning. The God that I worship today is the exact same God that I worshiped last week. In the past seven days, the world changed - things shifted - ever so slightly.

But He didn't.

Apapun yang terjadi di dunia ini, Dia tidak akan berubah. Dia tetap sama kemarin, hari ini, dan sampai selama-lamanya. Dan dia yang layak disembah.

He is worthy to be praised.

No comments: