19 December 2008

Meet Dave

So the other day, I watched Meet Dave, an American movie done in English. For some reason it also had English subtitles. So that's easy enough for the subtitle writers, right? I mean, just write down what the actors are saying, and you're done. No translating or anything. These guys take their jobs pretty seriously though, and they made it a LOT harder than it needed to be. I actually suspect that the movie was first translated into Indonesian and then BACK to English, because the supposedly English subtitles were actually a mix of Indonesian words and bad English grammar. Some of my favorites go as follows.... The subtitle is in quotes, with the actual line in parentheses.
"Permanent at your place!" (Stay right where you are!)
"This stood planet unanimous with us." (This planet rocks.)
"I shall blow up your head." (I don't know you that well.)
"Security outside sky." (Homeland security.)
"I am captain jam in." (I'm stuck.)

Today was the last day of finals, and all the kids left. So it will be pretty quiet around here for the next 3 weeks. Or at least it'll be as quiet as the most densely populated island in the world can be. I got some sweet Christmas gifts from students... One gave me one of those giant plastic candy canes filled with little candies. Yum! One gave me a loaf of homemade bread, which I can't wait to eat. I got some incredible homemade cards and candies. However, what was possibly the most memorable gift was the plastic bag filled with Korean food, complete with three bags of seasoned seaweed, a dish of noodles (like ramen, but infinitely better), some small candies, packaged cakes, and, of course, chopsticks. Thank you, Glory.

No comments: