you ALL should already be aware that last saturday was (drumroll please) pi day!
i would hope that at this point in our relationship you might have even celebrated it with me a time or two. if not, well, i'm sorry. there's always next year.
anyways, this year was my first year to celebrate it as a teacher.
there were pies. apple pies and chocolate cream pies.
and there were games. memorizing pi. designing a logo for pi. and writing a poem about pi.
the student who won the memorizing contest correctly recited pi to 150 decimal places.
impressed!
the seventh graders were the only ones who wrote poems about pi.
the entries go as follows:
"Pie is red.
Pie is blue.
It smells
And so do you."
- Zach
"I love pie, it's so fly.
I do pie, but sometimes it takes time.
Pie can be hard, pie can be easy.
Sometimes I think pie is cheesy."
- Isaiah
"I love pi
I see pi
On a pi day
And a pi smiles at me
O, your beautiful smile
Let your name be blessed."
- Soon Hyung
"The infinite number of pi
Takes time and love to memorize
If you care and if you try
You can truly analyze.
The first number is an executed eight
The decimal is the drop of blood
that represents its fate
On and on the numbers will flow
Until they reach their dying date
On that date the world will end
And pi will be no more
But don't cry yet, there's more 'round the bend
A heavenly pi - like never before.
If you wore the Greek letter pi on your head
You wouldn't make the ladies keen
And it wouldn't do to drop down dead
On pi day - March fourteen."
- Mary
(BTW, Soon won marginally by class vote. But I would have voted for Mary.)
1 comment:
I am sad to say I didn't get the chance to celebrate pi day... I fail as a math teacher... maybe that is why I don't have my own class. It looks like your celebrations went well! Glad to see that! Maybe next year I will be able to celebrate the day in style.
Post a Comment