Over the past few years, I’ve had several friends who have moved to work in Papua – not to be confused with Papua New Guinea, which is its own separate country. Papua shares the island of New Guinea with PNG, but Papua, also known as Irian Jaya, is actually a part of Indonesia.
In this picture, Australia is the large land mass at the bottom, Papua New Guinea is on the east side of the big island, and the west side is occupied by Papua.
In spite of the number of friends and acquaintances of mine who live there, I know relatively little about Papua and its culture. Through the Facebook page of a family I know who works in northern Papua, I found a link to the website of an Indonesian photographer who travelled there (a loooong trip. Java – where most of the population of Indonesia lives – isn’t even shown on the map above because it’s so far away) to photograph and put a face on the HIV/AIDS pandemic currently happening.
So if you’re like me and are curious to know more, click HERE to see some awesome pictures, and be sure to click “Show Caption” at the bottom of each photo in the slideshow to read and learn!
No comments:
Post a Comment