07 February 2012

Sick Days

Well, for the second time ever, I came home sick from work today. There’s something going around, and it hit me hard. I was up most of last night with major, major congestion coupled with a hacking cough, sore throat, and lots of sneezing. Today, my body ached so bad, I couldn’t stand up, so I was trying to teach while sitting in front of the white board. But I had enough of a fever, that I had goosebumps and was shivering for most of the day. I had a headache and a stomachache too, so I hadn’t eaten anything, which didn’t help. Basically, I was just miserable. I made it through two periods before I didn’t think I could take it anymore. All of our school administration was in a seminar today, so I couldn’t talk to my boss to ask permission to go home or to help me find subs. So before I could go, I had to make up sub plans, then hike all over the school trying to find people who could cover my classes. By the time I got all my classes covered and made it to the nurse’s office to ask for some medicine, my body was in so much pain that I just walked in the door and burst into tears. Good move, me.
I’m extremely thankful for understanding coworkers. We’ve all been stretched thin this year, but I had to find four people to cover four different classes today, and not a single one hesitated to help out. I’m also thankful for an awesome school nurse who stocked me up on meds, prayed over me, then sent me home to rest. I’m also thankful for Ibu Sri who made sure my house stayed quiet all day long so I could sleep. Twice she offered me food and a massage, but both times I declined because I just wanted to sleep. I can’t believe I turned down a free massage… But I needed rest. I got home from school at about 10, went straight to bed, and slept most of the way until 3.
Aswan was sick like this last week. Thankfully, day 2 of what he had was the worst, and this was my second day of feeling crummy. By day 4, he was entirely healthy again, so I’m hoping that I’ll follow the same pattern!!

No comments: