23 May 2013

GRADUATION!

The last two years, graduation has been SO emotional. And when other people are emotional, I become a hot mess. I brought so many tissues to graduation with me today. And as it turns out, I didn’t cry a single time! Neither did anyone else. Except Jose, but he’s Latino, so I think that’s as good an excuse as any. Today wasn’t sad. It was one big party. I love my extended family in this community, and I am going to miss those who are leaving SOOOOO much. But I was so excited to have a FUN celebration with them all today that didn’t involve blubbering or swollen eyed photos.

This class was in 8th grade when I came. Some of them have been here since kindergarten! That’s a BIG DEAL in a community this transient. I first taught them in 9th grade, and some of them I taught for all four years of high school! In this group of 19 seniors, there is only one that I haven’t taught, and that’s only because he just transferred to our school this year and didn’t take a senior math class.

There are 8 different nationalities represented in this class, and SO many different talents and gifts! They announced today that the total amount of scholarship money offered to these 19 students is $980,000. That’s almost a MILLION dollars! For these 19 kids. Because they are THAT talented and amazing! They have worked so hard, and it shows.

I don’t normally take pictures of people, much less of myself WITH people, but I forced myself to today. So here is possibly the largest number of photos of myself that I have ever taken or posted of myself EVER. Oh, and a few of graduation too. XD

First thing I noticed about the seniors in their cute little gowns – these boys have no clue how to sit with them on. I was cracking up…

IMG_3880

We only had 2 valedictorians this year (half as many as we had last year). They both gave such simple, yet such profound speeches. Speeches that I will actually remember. I love both of these girls, and I couldn’t be prouder of them.

IMG_3887IMG_3890

That verse on the wall is part of their class verse. Every senior class has a retreat at the beginning of the school year where they set their goals for the year and pick what verse they want to guide their year. I think that is an awesome tradition. Because the school didn’t pick it for them. They chose it together.

In the middle of the ceremony, they showed a slideshow of the senior class. Unbeknownst to everyone in the audience (except me) the seniors sneakily inserted a video clip in the middle of the slideshow of them doing the Harlem Shake dressed in RIDICULOUS costumes. I knew about it. Because they made me do it with them! Can you spot me busting a white girl move?

IMG_3885

The audience about died! It was hilarious and embarrassing all at once. After that, our departing assistant superintendent gave the graduation address (or whatever you call that).

IMG_3892

The class of 2013.

IMG_3894

All of our administration is 100% bald. It’s kind of funny, really.

IMG_3895

Finished. Tassels are turned. BERHASIL!

IMG_3898

And now for the after party photos. We all hung around chatting and snacking and hugging and taking pictures and saying goodbyes and OK – even crying a little bit – together for hours. Like I said, I LOVE this community!

IMG_3901  IMG_3902IMG_3903  IMG_3908IMG_3912  IMG_3910IMG_3914  IMG_3913  IMG_3915  IMG_3916IMG_3917  IMG_3918IMG_3921 IMG_3922 IMG_3929IMG_3919  IMG_3930IMG_3924IMG_3927  IMG_3931

And this last one cracks me up and I don’t even know why.

IMG_3932

Happy graduation, everyone!!

No comments: