15 May 2013

Medical Care and Faith Slightly Restored

I've done my fair share of complaining about medical care in this country recently, and I feel like I need to share something positive.

I went with Yo last weekend to visit his sick nephew in the hospital in the next city. (His nephew is 3 and had bad diarrhea and was dehydrated. But he's already home now and doing great!)

I didn't really know what to expect, as I'd never been to that hospital and my recent hospital experience had been, well, less than optimal.

But I was pleasantly surprised! On each floor there was a nurse's station with helpful nurses who knew which room each patient was in. Each patient in the pediatrics ward had their own room with AC, a flatscreen TV, a mini fridge, and a bathroom with a real toilet AND a shower! The beds were the kind that have a remote for raising and lowering the top and bottom halves, and they even came with sheets and pillows! The IV bag holders (what are those wheelie things called?) were not completely rusted over. The room was decorated with vivid colors and cute animals painted on the walls. There was a sofa sleeper for parents as well as other chairs for family to sit on. Also, the room had windows. And there was an elevator.

NONE of these things can be found in the hospital in my town. At least not in the room Sani stayed in.

So my faith has been slightly restored in Indonesian medical care facilities. Slightly.

Nevertheless, I've been making sure all my friends know that if I ever get really sick, they are just to ship me directly to Singapore. Or let me die at home. Either one is preferable to the hospital here.

No comments: