After 10 months of blood, sweat, and tears (LITERALLY all three of those) and making high school boys cry and repeating myself 15 times every 2 minutes and focusing all my energies on not throat punching small children and wondering why on earth I ever decided to teach, I am reminded why I do it. And I have something lasting, something in writing, that I can point to on a bad day and say to myself, “THIS is why I teach.” I even had to add extra pages for all the kids who wanted to write in my book!
I debated about posting this because it kind of seems like bragging. But then this morning, someone spilled water on my “yearbook” and parts of some of the comments got washed away, so I decided to go ahead and type them all up just in case. I could have done that in a Word document and saved it privately. So I guess I am bragging a little bit. About how sweet and great my students are. And also about how I’m the teacher of the year, basically.
Here is what they wrote (with all names removed or abbreviated):
9th Grade
HEYEAYAYEAYA. I’m sorry for being not a nerd in your class.. but next year I will try to study… harder… ya. I love you sooo much and Im gonna miss you over the summer! - NH
I learned lots of things from you!! thank u for teaching us! I’m glad I can study Geometry with you next year! YAY!! In next year…, I will try to concentrate in class!! You are a wonderful teacher! Have a good summer BREAK! – Lovely CB
I think you’re one of the most diligent teachers in this school! Well you’re really smart and kind too. Thanks for being so great. Have a great summer! - <3 OK
Hey! If you weren’t such a great teacher I wouldn’t understand Alg at ALL. So thank you! – LS
Every time I see you, you are so… calm. You are such a great teacher and I really like your teaching style. Even though I get stressed with tests + EXAMS, I think I get lots of knowledge from you. Thank you for being a great teacher! See you in 10th grade! - SJL
Don’t miss me too much LOL – DKK of Baconville
I will miss you during summer. Thanks for teaching me and encouraging me in any way. – SA
You are the best teacher! Don’t leave us! Teach us until 12th! Have a good summer! – JYB
Hey – !! I <3 U sooooooooo MUCH! Have a nice break – ! AND… Ummmmmmm… YOLO! – GB
HETO! This summer, be in a good MODE and don’t be so MEAN! You should not be an ANGLE OF DEPRESSION but be an ANGLE OF ELEVATION for others! When you go pack to go somewhere, don’t bring any EXTRANEOUS things! Make sure that EVEN if people look at you funny, don’t act ODD. Write in good MARGINS and don’t make ERRORS! – JP
Hi ~ Hello ~ >.,<!! I don’t know you much, but I think you’re really nice person! (And u r so beautiful!!) Umm… Thank you! – JIY
Sometimes I feel that you are very strict and you are but I learn a lot from it. I have enjoyed you being my teacher! YOU ARE AWESOME! See you next time (in 10th grade). Hope you enjoy your summer! – JC
2 cool 2 be 4gotten – NH
It was a fun year studying Algebra 2 with you! That is probably a lie. Haha, I’m pretty happy that I got good grade on exam! Have a great summer and wait until I send you a Songpop request! PS. I’ll get you sandals from Korea. - GHC
10th Grade
Hi. This is me, your favorite student. Thank you so much for teaching and being patient with us this year. I hope we change + mature next year but I doubt we will ever get better. But I know deep down in your heart, you love us. Yes. I’m sure. Have an amazing summer and call me maybe. – DK
Thank you for being a great and patient teacher. – MS
Please let me pass. Love, RT
Sup miss. – ET
Hey. – AA
Hi! You are patient and pretty (NOT flirting). TIP
Hi Ibu. Thanks for a lot. I can’t really say what I need to here because a, this is not a legit yearbook (cool idea tho) b, anyone random reading it will think I’m a hobo. You’re a lot cooler than I thought you were. Remember 23 November I expect excellence. – GG
Have a nice summer. – KW
You are a great and beautiful teacher. Stay like that. – PC
Thank you so much for putting up with me over this last year! I know I can drive people crazy a lot of times! You’re an awesome teacher. Have a great summer! – AN
11th Grade
Let’s go to coffeeshop and we can ya. Math isn’t that fun but you’re fun so see ya! – SHK
Hey, I am your only student that never sleeps in class, turn in all assignments, remembers every test days. You’ll never ever have another dilligent student like me. See you next year. – JL
You are an awesome teacher! Your teaching style is perfect for my learning style, so that is good. Have a good summer. – PRH
Thanks for another year of math! This was the hardest math I’ve ever studied, but thanks for teaching it so well! Have a great summer and see you next year! – MHS
Thanks for teaching me math again this year. I understand it when you teach. You’re a good teacher and a good food rationer. Haha… Thanks for guarding our dorm lunch from other students. See ya next year! – HSK
Thank you! Even though my grades haven’t been great these last few years I have sure had a lot of fun in your class and will always have great memories. I will definitely see you around. – DM
Thanks for being a great math teacher! – MS
Thanks for always making class interesting… have a great summer. – KG
I’m sorry you had to have me in your class. – SP
12th Grade
I am so happy that I had you all 4 years of high school. You are without even the slightest of doubts my favorite teacher of ALL TIME! I will miss you so much. I am blessed for having known you. And it sucks I can’t be your maid of honor because I won’t be here for your wedding (don’t even act like I wasn’t your first choice). You are an amazing teacher and because of you math was my fav. class all through high school. But most of all you are an even better friend. Not many people can call a teacher a friend (especially their math teacher) but I am overjoyed that I can call you mine. I love you! – Love always, KALH
You are THE coolest most awesomest person that has EVER worked here. That is if you exclude Amber because she is my girlfriend. JK!! You’re the best. I love you BYE. – KH
To the best math teacher ever! I’ve enjoyed taking your class for 4 years in a row. Your explanations were clear and I loved how you encouraged me to solve problems on my own instead of giving me answers right away. I’ll miss the random stories you’d share during breaks & the food you shared with us. Oh! And the time we went to a worship concert together. The fact that I have a teacher who loves God, loves Indonesia and its people meant so much to me. I’ll miss you lots! Love, JL
4 years of math class. 4 years of homework, tests, and Bs. I'm still going to miss it though for some reason. And I'm going to miss the randomness that happens during our breaks. Thank you for your time and effort. I will miss you. - BH
Bye. I love you. - KHL
I think it is pretty great that you let me teach once. I enjoyed learning math as much as possible (as much as I am capable of, that is). I hope RT doesn't give you too much trouble next year. So ya, you're pretty cool. Oh! I think it's cool that you actually have standards and rules. :D - ST
No comments:
Post a Comment