26 March 2011

Ah, the weekend...

The perfect time to clean out that layer of black mold you find growing in the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

Wait. What? SICK!

Yes, yes, it's true. Today was what we call an "Indo Day". I am fed up with rainy season, which hasn't ended for a year and a half now. Last night, I was pulling moldly clothes out of my wardrobe and throwing them in the hamper to be washed. Today, I was looking for a dish and almost had a breakdown when I realized how much mold was growing in my cupboards. Then, to make matters worse, as I was crawling head first into the cupboards to reach the very back with a scrub brush and disinfectant wash, it started RAINING! The nerve...

It's really tempting on days like this to compare Indonesia with my home country and grumble about how we don't get mold growing on everything that doesn't move or geckos that poop all over the walls and everything hanging on them in America, like it's the best place on earth or something.

I mean, America's alright. But still, like 360 days out of the year (361 for leap years), I prefer living in Indonesia. Today - as I sneezed and blew my nose repeatedly due to mold exposure, had pots, pans, tupperware, and everything else from my drawers and cupboards strewn across the kitchen floor, and used a borderline toxic floor cleaner just to wipe down my shelves - was one of the other 5.

The good news is that my kitchen is now relatively mold free. And way more organized.

No comments: