30 May 2011

This week

I haven't been on here for awhile. This past week has been... trying... to say the least. Here are some things that have happened.

1. A student that I have a good relationship with got kicked out of school last week. Not sure what's gonna happen to him in his future because now he'll have to go to school in Jakarta. Rough town.

2. Someone that I've known since day one of arriving in Indonesia was brutally attacked by two Indonesian men last week. We were all asked by the family to not talk about it, so I really can't. But it's a super hard situation and it has really shaken our whole community. None of us are allowed to go anywhere alone anymore. Our peace of mind and our freedom were taken away from us in one fell swoop. This town was always our safe haven. Bad things don't happen here.

3. Finals, teacher meetings, finals, teacher meetings, grading finals, more teacher meetings, turning in grades, graduation, goodbyes, more goodbyes, goodbye parties, goodbye ceremonies, goodbye luncheons, and even more teacher meetings.

4. Boyfriend and I bought Blackberries. So expensive. They better work or I'm gonna cry.

5. Tomorrow I'm going hiking at 4 am with some friends to watch the sunrise. And then to the dentist. For the first time in 3 years.

6. And then.... I'm going to AMERICA on Thursday.

I thought it would be really hard to leave. But it's not. I'm ready. I just want to go home. For the first time in three years, I want to get out of here, off this island. I've cried more in the past week than I have in the past year. The things that have happened here this week... they won't quickly be forgotten.

In one day, in one instant, with one sentence, everything can change.

But there is one thing that I feel coming true in my life right now: Though the sorrow may last for the night, joy comes with the morning.

Even so, forgive me, my American friends, if I'm an emotional wreck when I get home on Friday. All this topped off with just one hour shy of the biggest dose of jet lag you can get could make for one messed up girl. : )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your week...wish I could give you a big hug and make it all better. Hope I get to see you soon friend, hang in there and enjoy this much-needed period of rest and recover once you hit the good ol' US soil

istribaik said...

You know dear, several times when I was at the track in the last week and life was SO heavy and dark...I had that same thought come into my head about joy in the morning :). That is for all of us!!
Have a beautiful summer...and a great year! :)