Ibu Sri's husband is currently at home resting. When I asked Ibu about his eyes, she said she didn't know much because he can't open them and they're all bandaged up. She's planning on coming to work tomorrow (Tuesday), but I'm leaving her a note to let her know she can have Wednesday off, as her husband has to return to the doctor to get the bandages taken off and his eyes checked then. Please continue praying!
And as a testimony to how amazing and hardworking Ibu Sri is, I'm copying a translation of the note she left for me on my counter today:
"Good afternoon, miss. I'm sorry that I went home early today because my husband is in the hospital. Because while he was at work, his eyes got sprayed with metal shards while he was welding on a broken machine. Thank you for the presents you brought me from Bali. And I'm sorry that all my work isn't finished today. I will finish it tomorrow. Because I really want to find out how my husband is. I am very, very worried. Please pray for me, OK? I'm sorry, I'm so confused. On one hand, I have so much work to do, but on the other hand, I really need to go be with my husband. I'm so sorry. Ibu Sri."
Lest I sound like a slave driver who beats my help into submission, rest assured that most of this letter stems from a cultural fear of upsetting someone. She is very worried that we will be disappointed that our apartments aren't spic and span when we get home from work, so she will apologize 15 times to make up for it. It's the Javanese way.
I'm leaving a note for her tomorrow that basically says, "No matter what, your family is more important than your work. We understand that you are very worried, and it is better for you to be with your husband than to be here cooking or mopping. Don't be afraid to take time off this week if you need to be with your husband. We are all praying for you and your husband so that he will be healed quickly and have full vision!"
And I cleaned the whole bathroom and kitchen today so she hopefully won't feel like she's way behind or has too much work to do to take any time off to be with her husband. See? Not a slave driver. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment