My pembantu (helper) didn't come into work all week this week. She was busy preparing to host 1000 people this weekend in honor of her son Yoel's circumcision. Circumcisions are a big deal here, as they mark the passage to becoming a man. Usually the boy is around 12 or 13, and the celebration lasts a few days as guests come in shifts according to their invitation. My time to come is tomorrow at 9:30 AM, but Ibu Sri asked if I would drop by today and take some pictures with my "nice camera" of the family and friends who came. I was happy to have a chance to help my helper - she does so much for me!
As I was sitting, snacking on some traditional Javanese sweetness (Ibu Sri told me she bought roughly 100 pounds of sugar for all the cooking she did this week!), one of my good friends' fathers arrived. After shaking the hands of all the family members, he came and sat with me. He asked where Yoel was, so I pointed him out, and he walked over and handed him some money. He came and sat down again, and we chatted for awhile, until Ibu Sri motioned for me to come take some more pictures.
After I took some family pictures for her, she told me to sit down beside her, which I obediently did. I made polite conversation, telling her she looked great, the food was delicious, and that it was obvious how loved her family was by how many people came that day. Then I asked how she knew my friend's dad.
Ibu Sri: Who?
Me: Him. That guy sitting over there in the orange shirt. *pointing*
Ibu Sri: Oh! Him... Yeah, I don't know him at all.
Me: What??!
Ibu Sri: When I told my friends to hand out the invitations to people, I told them to give one to Mr. Bambang who lives in Klaseman. They accidentally gave one to that guy. I guess his name is Mr. Bambang too, but I've never met him.
Me: Oh. Well it was nice of him to come anyways.
Ibu Sri: Oh, yes. He seems like a very kind man. He doesn't know us, but he still came and gave money to Yoel.
Me: He's my friend's dad.
Ibu Sri: Really? You know him?
Me: Yeah.
Ibu Sri: When he came earlier, we all shook his hand, then I asked my husband if that is one of his friends, and he said no, and then my husband asked if he is one of my friends, and I said no. But we didn't know what to do, because he already came in!
I was just cracking up the whole time. I can't wait to tell my friend that his dad crashed a circumcision today.
No comments:
Post a Comment