Hey all. I don't know if you've seen anything about Indonesia in the news today or not. But just in case anybody saw and was concerned for my safety, let me just say that I'm OK. Earlier today, Sunday morning, a suicide bomber attended a large church in Solo and detonated a bomb at the end of the service as he was leaving. So far it has been confirmed that 2 people were killed - the bomber himself and an usher who was greeting him as he left - and several were taken to the hospital with injuries sustained from the blast. Right now, the president is saying that the bomber was a member of a terrorist sect from Cirebon, which is a city in West Java. So far that's all we know.
Solo is about an hour south of where I live. A little close to home, but I am safe. Local churches and Bali (of course, because Bali always goes on alert whenever there's any terrorist activity) are practicing tightened security now.
Right now a lot of Indonesians are disappointed by what has happened. I, frankly, am disappointed by the reaction of lots of Indonesians, which has been to smugly pass around photos of the suicide bomber's body - split open and laying on the front steps of the church. My friends don't understand why I refuse to look at it every time someone tries to show me on their laptop or Blackberry. It sickens me.
And speaking of sick, I got food poisoning for breakfast yesterday. Agaaaaain. Stayed in bed all day today and feeling better tonight. Hoping I can make it through school on my feet tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment