27 September 2011

Pak Dumeri

jahit = sew / penjahit = someone who sews
jahat = evil / penjahat = someone who does evil
pijat = massage / pemijat = someone who gives massages

I was just telling Aswan about Pak Dumeri (who you can read about in number 4 of the list found in THIS blog from January). He is famous as a horse masseuse but can fix any bodily ailment you might have in about 2 incredibly painful minutes of jamming fingers into the right nerves. Anyway, Aswan was asking where he is located at, and we were trying to figure out "sebelah mana" (next to what). And I made some offhand comment that went kind of like this:

"Ya, Pak Dumeri sangat terkenal sebagai penjahit kuda."

Aswan replied, "Hahaha! Salah! Dia PENJAHAT kuda!"

To which I replied, "penJAHAT?! What?!"

To which he finally shouted, "PEMIJAT!"

Basically, our conversation went like this:

Me: Yeah, Pak Dumeri is famous for being a horse tailor. (I meant horse masseuse. The words are similar.)
Aswan: Hahaha! You messed up! He's a horsey evildoer!"
Me: Evildoer?! WHAT?!
Aswan: MASSEUSE!

So basically, I used the wrong Indonesian word. Then Aswan used the wrong word while trying to correct my wrong word. Then I got confused about why he was calling Pak Dumeri evil, having never met him. Then Aswan realized what he had said and that we had BOTH used the wrong word. Then we just laughed a lot.

No comments: