After reading a quote by Voltaire written on my chalkboard...
11th grader: Who is Voltaire? Me: A French philosopher who lived in the 1700s. 11th grader: Oh. Is that who they named Volt energy drink after? Me: Uhh.... I don't think so.
I'm not sure that you or your student REALLY want to know, but just in case, here's my explanation (part assumption, part fact): I have to assume that the energy drink was named after the unit of electric potential, potential difference, and electromotive force, i.e., the "volt" (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt). The factual part is that the electrical unit was named after Alesandro Volta (see prev link and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Volta). Still love me? D
1 comment:
I'm not sure that you or your student REALLY want to know, but just in case, here's my explanation (part assumption, part fact): I have to assume that the energy drink was named after the unit of electric potential, potential difference, and electromotive force, i.e., the "volt" (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt). The factual part is that the electrical unit was named after Alesandro Volta (see prev link and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Volta). Still love me?
D
Post a Comment