03 May 2012

In Other News

As I was locking up my classroom yesterday, a friend showed up and was all, "Hey! Wanna go dirtbiking? Right now?" So I said I would go if they would let me go home first to change out of my school clothes.

We went with a couple of my students who have massive dirtbikes. The two of us rode while they drove us all over the mountain, through rice fields, over 1 foot wide bamboo bridges over waterfalls, through little mountain villages, etc. Pretty much everywhere except roads. There were a few parts where the girls had to get off and walk or help push the bikes up some really steep, rocky bits. We had some precarious moments and we got a little dirty, but we all made it back safe and sound.

Then when we were back in my front yard, the guys taught us how to drive their bikes. I've never driven a manual bike (mine is automatic), much less one of that size, so it was pretty sweet. I only stalled it once. Shifting and braking with your feet is a strange feeling.

It was a brand new adventure that I was thankful for.

No comments: