04 April 2011

April!

This past weekend was the Jr/Sr Banquet, our version of prom. Each year, the Junior class plans and throws the event in honor of the Seniors. The Sophomores also attend to (hopefully) learn what to do/not do next year when it’s their turn to plan! I am the Junior class advisor this year, but this class is AMAZING and I did virtually nothing in the planning of this event. They did an awesome job... Hats off to the juniors!! During the entire 3 hour event, I managed to take about 6 pictures. Highlights include....

IMG_1242

The horrifying “artwork” on the main floor of the hotel where the event was held. When you first enter, you are met by two BRIGHT red naked butts. Come around the front, and they’re STILL buck naked! According to the plaque, this apparently represents cold, greed, and power. On the left, you have a Dalmation dog leading its owner on a leash. I have no clue what this one represents. Also, on the right, you can see frames with large rocks hung in them. Fascinating.

IMG_1247

This is JooHyun, one of the Seniors (and my TA!) explaining to us at dinner why cow’s milk is dangerous. Apparently, “when you milk a cow with the machine and you put those sucky things on, it gives the cows blisters on their parts, and then those blisters pop and cow milk that you buy in the store has PUS IN IT!”

IMG_1248

Eventually she had herself so worked up that she was laughing hysterically, crying, and gasping for breath all at once, much to the amusement of the rest of us trying to eat our dinner. Aaaaand everyone at the surrounding tables.

IMG_1254

The winners of the “Cutest Couple” award. They’re not dating, but we’re all hoping.... Haha....

Sunday was spent in a near coma state. Except for that one part of church where they decided to start celebrating birthdays... During the month that my birthday is in. So in an unprecedented move, me and 5 other people had to stand at the front of the sanctuary while the congregation sang “Happy Birthday” in English EIGHT times. Then Pastor Sam prayed over us individually and that was nice.

Yesterday, I saw a picture of some REALLY delicious looking pizza on the internet on accident. And I realized that I haven’t had pizza for 2 months. So I made a deal with Aswan that if it isn’t raining one day this week after school (chances are slim), we are taking the motorbike to Semarang to get pizza (1.5 hours away!) at PIZZA HUT! It tastes just like American pizza if you avoid the stranger flavors.... Corn Flakes, Potatoes and Mayonnaise, Sardines, etc.

Today is Monday... Back to school. Normally it’s raining by lunch time. Today it wasn’t. At about 2 o’clock, I looked out the window and noticed the sun was still out! I can’t remember the last time that happened!

IMG_1255

I got excited. Until I walked back to my desk and happened to look out the windows on the other side of the room....

IMG_1256

Oh, man..... Right now, it’s 3. I can hear thunder, but I also see lots of blue sky. So we’ll see how things are looking around 4ish.

After snapping those pictures, I sat down to grade homework. On a geometry test, I found this gem:

IMG_1258

Have to say that one made me laugh. Then, in a stack of papers (yes, I make my math students write papers), I found this...

IMG_1259

In case you can’t read it, it says, “I forgot about the paper. I hope this cat lightens the mood.” Well, if nothing else, they make me laugh! : ) 

No comments: