28 April 2011

Mas Bowo

Last night I got home after fellowship and one of our 3 single guards opened the gate for me. I'd heard a rumor going around that he was getting married soon, but I also know that in the not too distant past, he had been "close" with another (different) girl who I am friends with. So as he checked my bag and opened the gate for me, we had the following conversation.

Me: So I heard you're getting married. Is it true?
Him: *reduced to shy giggles, which was really cute* Yeaaaaah……
Me: Congratulations! Shake my hand!
*Handshake*
Him: Thanks.
Me: So when's the wedding?
Him: Maybe July. (Indonesians usually set the date about 2 weeks before the wedding)
Me: Wow! How long have you guys been dating?
Him: About 3 months.
Me: Three months?! You move fast!
Him: Yeah, this is from my parents. (It took me awhile to decipher that comment. Like they are paying for the wedding? Or SHE came from his parents - he's marrying his sister? Finally, I realized that he was saying it's an arranged marriage. Or at least a pressured one.)
Me: Ooooooh….. So how do YOU feel about it?
Him: Huh?
Me: I mean is it only your parents who want you to marry her, or do you want to too?
Him: Oh, yeah! I really like her. I'm happy.
Me: OK. Good.
Him: Actually, she was Muslim, but since we started dating, praise God, she became a Christian!
Me: (Knowing that lots of people "change" their religion just to please in-laws, spouses, etc) Do you think she's truly changed in her heart?
Him: I believe she has really changed. She reads her Bible every day and asks me questions about it so I can explain it to her. She's really seeking to know God more and more every day.
Me: That's awesome! I'm glad that God is using you in her life!
Him: Yeah, her whole family is Muslim still though. They live about 4 hours away. Her sister runs a Muslim community there.
Me: How do they feel about her conversion? Do they still accept her?
Him: Yeah, they're OK with it. Maybe they will know God too.
Me: That would be great! I hope so…
Him: Yeah.
Me: Well, congratulations again!
Him: *Twitterpated grin* Thanks!!

No comments: