23 March 2012

And We're Back

Yesterday, I taught the 9th graders about probability and odds. Probability is generally written as a decimal or percent. Odds are always written as fractions or ratios.

We went over that. And over that. And over that. I explained the difference. I explained why they are written that way. I gave real life examples of weathermen predicting the probability of rain using percents, and I talked about odds for and against horses down at the track and what those odds even mean.

I made them repeat after me. "Odds are ratios. Probabilities are decimals." We did about 25 example problems.

Just graded the homework. Four out of twelve students wrote odds as ratios and probabilities as percents. (And if you've been reading my blog for any time, you will notice that I gained 2 ninth graders recently. One just returned from an extended stay in India, and one just transferred to our school.)

Would I be out of line if I started tattooing general math facts on my students' bodies?

PS - Their new favorite quote - which I have heard every day this week - is, "I hate all the orphans in the world."

No comments: