Home from Bali. When I unpacked, I put everything I bought on the kitchen table for Aswan to review. And I realized what is most important to me. Not new clothes. Not souvenirs. It was FOOD. I bought about 20 pounds of food. Havarti cheese. Arm and Hammer baking soda. Lindt chocolate. Muesli bars. Candied cashews. Balinese coffee. And on and on and on. ILOVEFOOD! Haha...
I also had another realization today as I was thinking about going back to work tomorrow. I would take 20 hours on a bus to Bali with 14 high schoolers over going to work any day - it is way less stressful. And if you have never spent 20 hours straight locked on a bus with 14 teenagers, then you don't fully understand the complexity of the situation. Let me be clear - I came to the realization that I am REALLY dreading going back to work this week. And it is 100% because of the environment of conflict that has somehow been cultivated at our school this year. It seems like every day there is this coursing undertone of division and judgement and hurt. It rarely affects me directly. But I feel it. And it wears on me. I didn't realize how much until I spent a whole week away from it. This week in Bali was so low key and laid back and full of good memories and time spent with some of my favorite people in the world.
So I think that's why I'm still awake at 12:09 the night before school starts. I want to enjoy the last hours of my week away. I'm not ready to let it go yet. I don't want to go back to work.
Summer, please hurry up.
No comments:
Post a Comment