Yesterday some friends and I drove to Solo to hang out and to celebrate some calm. Three friends have parents and/or friends coming within the next month, one got a promotion over the weekend and will have a lot more responsibility at work, one is facing language school evaluation tests this week, and I was headed back to school after spring break. So it was nice to get out of town and spend some time together before we all get too busy to.
We definitely had some unexpected highlights of the evening.
The first was finding Mason jars at Ace Hardware!! Ace Hardware here is VERY different from Ace Hardware in America. Basically, it's not even a hardware store. It is a very expensive upscale home furnishings store. They do have small lawn and garden, automotive, and power tool departments in which most of the items are imported. I don't shop there very often because I can't afford much there. But they sell imported Tide laundry detergent (for $22) and GooGone (for about $12 a bottle) and scented soy candles (for $17) and reed infusers (for $25). I sometimes like to go in and just walk through the aisles and smell all of those familiar smells. Anyways, I have never ever ever seen Mason jars for sale in Indonesia, so when I found them for a dollar each, I bought 6 pint size ones, and they are now my new drinking glasses. Stoked.
The second was stumbling upon a children's hip hop dance competition in the mall. With the exception of one kid who could spin on his head, the competition mostly consisted of 12 year olds in baggy clothes trying to look as ghetto as possible while they jumped up and down and waved their hands in the air on stage. We spent 99% of the time trying not to laugh at them, bless their hearts. It was definitely some great amusement for the evening!
The third thing happened while we were enjoying frozen yogurt and donuts, also in the mall. There were four guys and a girl sitting at the next table over from us, and soon after we sat down, one of the guys came over and asked us if we would be willing to model for him. Turns out, he's a local fashion designer and is planning on doing a shoot soon with his new line. I got his (very awesome looking) card and said we'd be in contact if we are interested. Playing it cool. I have to confess, I kind of want to do it just for the experience of having done it. A new adventure!
Other than that, there was one very amusing conversation that took place...
Aswan: I want to go to palace.
Me: You want to go to the palace?
Aswan: Yes.
Me: It's already dark out though... Wouldn't it be better to go during the daytime so you can see?
Aswan: Um... Maybe. We can go another time.
*an hour later while eating dinner at the best Italian restaurant on Java*
Aswan: PAYLESS! You thought I said PALACE! I said PAYLESS!
Me: .....what are you talking about?
Aswan: Earlier I said I want to go to Payless. The shoe store in the mall. You thought I said palace.
Me: OOOOOOH! Yes, yes I did.
Aswan: That's why I was so confused! I didn't know why I had to go shoe shopping in the daytime! I thought maybe it was an American thing, like you only shop for shoes when it's light out or something.
Me: Hahaha! No, it's not. We can go to Payless tonight. Do you need more shoes?
Aswan: Yes. I need variety.
Me: Oh my goodness...
Aswan: I like shopping!
Haha... For the record, even once I realized what he was saying, I still couldn't tell the difference between his pronunciation of "palace" and "Payless".
2 comments:
"Payless" . . . sort of like your mom with "Powells" vs "PALS" . . .
I loved everything about this post.
& the last part about the payless incident? For real had to stifle giggles so I didn't wake my sleeping baby :D.
Also? I went to the mall this wknd. And I went into h&m for the first time in like a year. & it made me miss you like crazy for some reason...
Post a Comment