01 April 2012
Indecision Gets the Best of Me
So first I was going to blog about how awesome Junior-Senior banquet was and how impressively the Juniors pulled everything off in this culmination of months of planning. I also would have mentioned what good swing dancers Jon and KyuHo are, and that even if KyuHo's date didn't want to dance with him because she thought he was too slow, I had fun and learned some good moves. She was missing out. Oh, and I would have had to write about how impressive it is that Kohl beat ALL the girls at both limbo AND the hula booty shake (the theme was Luau, in case you were wondering what kinds of bizarre things we do at banquet around here).
Then I was going to blog about how refreshing it is to hear a sermon in my native language and how much Indonesian I can still learn when that sermon is being translated into Indonesian and I get to hear both languages side by side, as it were. I miss my bilingual church. I like hearing a sermon that I just GET. I don't have to translate it in my mind. I don't have to consider the culture that it's coming from. I understand the jokes and idioms. However, I have to cringe when speakers use jokes and idioms like that, because I know they're not getting translated correctly, and I am probably the only person in the entire room that isn't confused. Yesterday had an extra special effect when the speaker used a phrase in English for which the Indonesian translation is actually a curse word. Yes. There was cursing. In church. *forehead palm slap*
After that, I decided to write about how I really wanted to go visit Aswan at work on the ranch, but I decided to wait until the monsoon stopped. But then it didn't. It rained so hard for so long yesterday that by the time I finally had to go out to get dinner, I was driving in the pouring rain through shin deep puddles. I did do some painting and make 2 different types of cookies, so the entire afternoon wasn't a waste.
THEN I wanted to blog about how I thought the neighbors were having a wedding yesterday, based on the massive amount of decorations, tents, and chairs blocking off the entire street and the generator that sounded like a tractor plowing a field until well after I went to bed at 11. Oh, and the music. The BLARING music. Enough to drown out the tractor-esque generator. And the cicadas. And my own thoughts. It was causing my furniture to vibrate. But when I asked someone if it was a wedding, he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "No. It's a birth." I finally just learned how to tell weddings and funerals apart in this country! Give me a break! A BIRTH?!
But in the end, I really couldn't decide what to blog about. So I wrote this post instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment