04 April 2012

Three.5 Things

1. A horse and buggy just drove by my classroom. Just clip-clopped on by. Very strange. Yes, horse and buggy is still a certifiable form of transportation in this country, public transportation even. But they don't usually come on campus.
2. There is a man named Budi that I pass on my way to work a lot. He usually asks me, "Apa kabar?" (How are you?) By now, he knows that I am not a morning person, so half the time, I just tell him, "Ngantuk". (Sleeeepy) But Pak Budi thinks it is unacceptable that someone could be only half-awake in the morning. So his advice to me is that when I wake up, I need to sing to God. That will help me be happier in the morning and to wake up joyfully. It sometimes works, I have to admit. This morning, I passed him, and he asked how I was, and I replied that I was "Baik" (fine) today, then I asked him how he is. He replied, "LUAR BIASA!" (WONDERFUL!) He was so emphatic that I had to ask him why. He basically said, "My whole family is walking with the Lord, and they are all healthy and safe. THAT is a blessing from God." That guy is such an encouragement to me. Every. Single. Morning.
3. Yesterday, I was asked the question, "What has been your greatest triumph in life?" And at the time, I was like, "Uhmmmmmmmm... Well... Like... Seriously??" I really don't know. But then later, while driving home from Bible Study, I had a re-memory. It's like a memory that recurs in my mind and I re-remember it. See, there is this blind lady at my church. Her name is Ibu Endang. She wasn't always blind, but she has been for as long as I've known her. She and her husband live in one of the poorest communities around. One day, I was over there visiting and playing with the kids, and I started up a conversation with Ibu Endang. It was probably right around a year ago. I don't remember what all we talked about. Probably her kids and where her husband works and things like that. It was the first time I had ever really talked to her besides shaking her hand and wishing her a "Happy Sunday" every week in church. The only real part of the conversation I remember is this:
Ibu Endang: Where do you live??
Me: Cabean (my area of town).
Ibu Endang: Oh, that's a nice place. Have you always lived there?
Me: No, only for a few years.
Ibu Endang: Where are you originally from?
Me: America.
Ibu Endang: .......... Wait. Are you WHITE?
Me: Um... Yes?
Ibu Endang: I've been talking to a white person this whole time?!
Me: Yes... Is that OK?
Ibu Endang: I THOUGHT YOU WERE INDONESIAN!!
I think that is one of my happiest moments.
3.5 The baby shower from hell was over by Tuesday. PRAISE THE LORD.

No comments: