19 October 2011

Foodfoodfoodfood

This has been a fabulous week, culinarily speaking. Monday, boyfriend and I ate at one of our favorite sidewalk stands, nasi bakar. GRILLED RICE! Delicious. Then on Tuesday, we attempted to make granola for the first time ever. It is quite delicious, if I do say so myself. Boyfriend was super excited, as he's been craving granola for days. We had to go out in the rain to three different stores to find the ONE ingredient that I didn't have (vegetable oil), and then we had to wait for about 20 minutes to let the hundreds of terrified ants evacuate from the oatmeal. But it was worth it. Cinnamon honey granola. Yum. Wednesday, I had Indian food. Like authentic Indian food made by the mother of one of my students - an Indian. So delicious. Today, the Java Dorm is bringing me a grilled stuffed burrito for lunch as a thank you for dormsitting. And as I've mentioned once or twice before, they have the best food. They even use cilantro, which is mostly nonexistent in Indonesia. For dinner, I'll have another grilled stuffed burrito (leftover from lunch, because I can only eat one - they're so huge!). And tomorrow, it's fajitas and probably a treat from the coffeeshop.

Then this weekend is the huge international soccer tournament which also means international food stands! Grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and Korean food and Indian food. This week has been the next best thing to eating in Bali, and all right here in Central Java!

This may not seem exciting to you, but when you eat some variation of chicken and rice twice a day EVERY DAY... Well, little treats like these aren't so little anymore!

No comments: