17 October 2011

Funny How Quickly Things can Change

Well, over the past week, not a whole lot has changed other than that I got a little better at pool, thanks to the pool table in the Java dorm. Today was a different story though. Boyfriend had a job interview this morning in Semarang, and if he gets the job, he could be moving an hour and a half away from my house, as opposed to 8 minutes. That’s a hard thought.

After school, I was over at the dorm when the dorm parents suddenly came home, unannounced – from America! The kids and I didn’t even know they were coming home today – we were just hoping they’d be home by this weekend. So I suddenly packed up a week’s worth of stuff and moved back to my own house. It’s a nice change, but it seems too quiet.

There is a family leaving in November due to health reasons, and I bought several picture frames and their massive desk, which was all moved in while I was gone. So I spent a good part of this evening repainting picture frames and organizing my life in my new desk.

IMG_1026 

It was originally painted black, but I had Mas Deni (the guy who made the bookshelf-now-craftshelf on the left) sand and stain it to match the bookshelf. This desk is awesome – I was able to get rid of my little dorm desk and my crappy wicker-ish bookshelf that I’ve had for three years. I was thankful for those things, but it’s nice to actually have two pieces of furniture that match! I guess the four chairs around the kitchen table all match… but they don’t match the table! The spaciousness of the rest of my room was sacrificed for this desk though. My room is in an L shape – the short leg of the L is occupied entirely by the above 2 items, and now the long part looks like this:

IMG_1027

Why, yes… yes I do have a door straight to the outdoors in my bedroom. Don’t you?

IMG_1028

And one more shot from over by my bed…

IMG_1029

Aaaaah! It’s just so nice! I’m loving it. Organization makes me happy. And see that ugly green plastic thing to the right of the desk? I got everything in that to fit in the desk tonight, so now I can get rid of that too! Next on the list is a matching lemari (the wardrobe thing). The one I currently have is owned by the school, and appears to be 80 year old plywood covered in paper made to look like wood. Again, I’m glad to have it. But I think that my realization that I’m going to be here more than 3 years is manifesting itself through me buying real furniture of my own.

Oya, when I was moving my books off my old bookshelf, I realized that some ants had moved in…

IMG_1022

Wellllllllcome to Indonesia…

 

On another note, I talked to some friends today who are facing a super tough situation. I’m not sure how open they’ve been with our community about it, and since I know there are people within this community who read my blog, I better not say too much for now. But I know they’d appreciate prayers!

No comments: