08 October 2011

Sudden Change of Plan

Well, the dorm parents for the Java Dorm got suddenly called back to the States by their sending org. And by suddenly, I mean that they were told on Wednesday that they needed to be in Richmond THIS WEEK. So they asked for my help. The thing is that though there are 5 kids living in the dorm, only one is technically a "dorm kid". The other four are the children of the dorm parents. Since dorm rules are pretty strictly laid out (there have to be TWO adults at ALL TIMES in the dorm), the one dorm boy went to stay with a friend, so I'm here in the dorm with the four other kids ranging in age from 10 - 17. They're great about looking after themselves. They just need an adult presence here, especially since this dorm is a popular hangout spot for lots of other kids. I mean, there's always pails of popcorn, a pool table, ping-pong, foosball, an X-Box, a Wii, wireless internet, two dogs and two TVs with cable. So why wouldn't this be one of the most popular after school hangout locations? I mean, there's like 15 middle and high schoolers here now watching the first and second Harry Potter on one of the TVs. Also, this place is HUGE. There are 110 doors in this dorm, each with its own key. I got left a box AND a basket of keys. Aish.

Anyways, since it's only the dorm family's kids here, they know the drill, and I'm pretty free to come and go as I like. I could just about throw a rock at my house from here, which is convenient. My house is on the school campus, just inside the gates. This dorm is just outside the gates. So I still have my ever handy jagas around. In fact, hotjaga stopped by earlier to drop off something of mine that he fixed for me and to make sure that everything was going OK.

The dorm parents don't know when they'll be back. Sometime in the 2 week window. Could be a little less, probably won't be much longer. One good thing in this is that their oldest son (they have 7 kids) is graduating top of his class from Marine academy or some such thing that I don't know the proper terminology for on Wednesday, so they might actually be able to see him graduate!

So anyways, that's what's going on with me. What about you?

No comments: